These hit the blunts tweets 😂😂💀
Jeremy Knowles, discussing the complete lack of recognition Cecilia Payne gets, even today, for her revolutionary discovery. (via alliterate)
OH WAIT LEMME TELL YOU ABOUT CECILIA PAYNE.
Cecilia Payne’s mother refused to spend money on her college education, so she won a scholarship to Cambridge.
Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said fuck that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne—after telling her not to publish).
Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard, and is often credited with breaking the glass ceiling for women in the Harvard science department and in astronomy, as well as inspiring entire generations of women to take up science.
Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.
I JUST NEED TO BE KISSED AND CUDDLED RIGHT NOW OK I DESERVE IT IM A GOOD PERSON I RECYCLE
Men who can’t cook, clean, or even do their own laundry are not “cute” and “in need of a woman to care for them”. They are spoiled brats so dependent on gender roles that they never bothered to learn the minimal skills to take care of themselves.
every woman on tumblr should have this on their dash
And every man
Does it freak anybody else out that Ansel Elgort’s dad used to look like Gibby from iCarly
women grow hair on their boobs and their butts and their legs and their arms and their stomachs and their face and really anywhere their genetics decides to have hair and it is perfectly normal what isnt normal is men who have never touched a razor trying to shame women for not looking like a hairless baby
shout this loud.
- America: What is your favourite place to eat?
- Australia: Do you have any quirks when speaking?
- Austria: What kind of person do you wish to be?
- Belarus: Is there anyone you love? Family, friends, romantic interest?
- Belgium: What do you think of your siblings?
- Botswana: Do you like to sing? Why or why not?
- Bulgaria: Who do you consider close to you?
- Cameroon: Describe your culture.
- Canada: Favourite wintertime activity?
- China: What was the best moment of your life?
- Cuba: What sort of grudges do you hold if any?
- Cyprus: What hands-on activities do you like (drawing, carving, building, etc.)?
- Denmark: Do you wish for something of your past?
- Egypt: Do you stand up for what you believe in? How?
- England: Are you controlling?
- Estonia: Do you think people often misunderstand you?
- Finland: What do you prefer, kindness, sternness, or apathy?
- France: How do you show love for those you care for?
- Germania: What is the hardest thing you have ever had to do?
- Germany: Do you have a hard time forgiving yourself?
- Ghana: What is your favourite sport?
- Greece: Do you let other help you when in need?
- Hungary: Who is the person you trust most?
- Hutt River: What is the most memorable dream or nightmare you have had?
- Hong Kong: Do you fear death?
- Iceland: Do you hide your real personality? Why?
- India: How important is family to you?
- Japan: Tell us a secret about yourself.
- Kenya: What is your favourite wild animal?
- Korea: What is one thing you accomplished by yourself?
- Kugelmugel: Is there anyone you have a love-hate relationship with?
- Latvia: Do you believe you are brave?
- Ladonia: What is the internet site you visit most often?
- Liechtenstein: How do people underestimate you most often?
- Lithuania: Do you desire power?
- Macau: What is your favourite festival or celebration?
- Molossia: Do you consider yourself strong?
- Monaco: Do you think you are a lucky person?
- New Zealand: Would you rather be an elf, dwarf, Hobbit, or wizard?
- North Italy: What is your least favourite part of your personality?
- Norway: What was the most disappointing time in your life?
- Netherlands: Most generous thing someone has done for you?
- Poland: Hardest thing you have gone through?
- Prussia: Would you prefer to live forever or die alone?
- Roman Empire: How would you like to be remembered?
- Romania: What is something you are very ashamed of?
- Russia: Have you ever suffered from low self esteem? Do you still?
- Sealand: Who is your best friend?
- Seborga: What is your favourite beverage?
- Seychelles: How do you handle people being rude to you?
- South Italy: What is your favourite part of your personality?
- Spain: What would you tell to the person or people you hurt most if you had a second chance?
- Sweden: Are you a leader, follower, or independent?
- Switzerland: Would you consider yourself evil, good, or neutral?
- Thailand: How good is your poker face?
- Tibet: What do you value most?
- Taiwan: What do you think of the people or person who raised you?
- Turkey: Would you ever want children?
- Uganda: How would you like others to see you?
- Ukraine: What is one thing that has made you stronger in life?
- Vietnam: What is something you are proud of about yourself?
- Yemen: What kind of art do you like?
- Zimbabwe: Who is your favourite character from any folklore?
- oh, oh, pretty please, amuse me. : )